Please note that SAVA awards are awarded annually. Due to the fact that awards are traditionally handed over at the gala dinner at SAVA congresses which only occur every two years, the awards for two successive years will be handed over at each awards ceremony. Hence, the 2019 awards ceremony will include recipients of both the 2018 and 2019 awards. This is a call for nominations for the 2018 awards. Please note non-SAVA members may be nominated, and the committee no longer requires a comprehensive motivation for nominations – refer to the details below.
- GOLD MEDAL OF THE SAVA
Awarded to any person resident in South Africa, or a veterinarian who is not resident in South Africa but who is a member of the SAVA, in recognition of outstanding scientific achievement of veterinary science. The medal will only be awarded once to a particular person.
- PRESIDENT’S AWARD
Awarded to any veterinarian registered with the SAVC in recognition of outstanding service to and advancement of the veterinary profession in South Africa. The award will only be bestowed once on a particular person.
- BOSWELL AWARD
Awarded to any member of the SAVA for eminent service rendered to the profession through the SAVA. The award may be bestowed upon more than one person in a particular year.
- CLINICAL AWARD OF THE SAVA
Awarded to any veterinarian or group of veterinarians who are members of the SAVA and are registered with the SAVC and have excelled in applied veterinary practice. Recipients will not be eligible for re-nomination within a period of five years.
- RESEARCH AWARD OF THE SAVA
Awarded to any member or group of members, for the best scientific article or series of articles, recently published in any scientific journal. Recipients of this award may be eligible for nomination for new original research. Submission to the Awards Committee may be made by candidates themselves.
- YOUNG VETERINARIAN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Awarded to a veterinarian who is a member of the SAVA, registered with the SAVC, less than 35 years of age or who has not been registered for longer than 10 years and who has made a significant contribution to veterinary science in his / her work sphere.
- SOGA MEDAL
Awarded in recognition of exceptional community service rendered by a veterinarian who is a member of the SAVA and registered with the SAVC or a veterinary student enrolled at a South African veterinary faculty. Any type of community service, and not necessarily veterinary service, rendered to any community, may be considered for this award.
- CITATION OF THE SAVA
The SAVA may bestow a citation upon one or more individuals, including non-veterinarians, in recognition of specific achievements and / or meritorious contributions to the veterinary profession or the SAVA. Justification for this citation must be supported by at least three members of Federal Council.
- HONORARY LIFE MEMBER
Any member who has rendered long and outstanding service to the veterinary profession may be awarded Honorary Life Membership. The nomination must be supported by at least three members of Federal Council. Honorary Life Membership will not be granted to more than three people in one year.
- HONORARY ASSOCIATE LIFE MEMBER
Any person who is not a veterinarian and who has rendered outstanding service to veterinary science may be awarded honorary associate life membership. The nomination must be supported by at least three members of Federal Council.
All nominations must be supported by:
- Submissions must be made on the official nomination form available from the SAVA office.
- A brief motivation in terms of the conditions of the specific award, including the impact the work of the nominee has had.
- A full curriculum vitae of the nominee, including a list of publication(s) where applicable and all the contact details of the nominee.
- Copy(ies) of the relevant publication(s) in the case of the Research Award.
- Nominations must be signed by a member of the SAVA and seconded and signed by a member of Federal Council.
Please note that:
- Any member of the SAVA may submit nominations. Members are encouraged to channel their nominations via a group or branch.
- Non-SAVA members may be nominated
- Unsuccessful nominations of previous years may, at the discretion of the Awards Committee, be held over for consideration in the following year.
- Where the nominator and seconder have indicated their permission, award categories of nominations could be changed by the Awards Committee.
- Members of the Awards Committee are permitted to propose or second candidates for awards, on condition that they recuse themselves when such nominations are discussed.
The onus is on members to submit appropriate nominations by the due date.
Failure to comply with the above will lead to disqualification of the nomination.
All nominations, in electronic format, marked for the attention of Dr Quixi Sonntag, Chairperson, Awards Committee of the SAVA, must reach the SAVA Secretary Elize Nicholas firstname.lastname@example.org by FRIDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2018.
Nomination forms may also be obtained from Vethouse or contact Elize Nicholas:
email@example.com or 012-346 1150
Or click here to download the nomination form.