The Ten Points of Responsible Pet Ownership
(with compliments from South African Companion Animal Council)
Pet Safety Tips
Unfortunately, even our favorite pets can sometimes bite. Here are some tips you can use to help prevent dog bites:
- Never approach a dog that you don’t know. Report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behaviour.
- Remain motionless when approached by an unfamiliar dog — never run or scream.
- Do not disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- If it appears that a dog is going to attack you, throw an article of clothing or something else at the dog that the dog can bite instead of biting you.
- If a dog leaps at you, cover your head and neck. It is very important that you try to keep the dog away from your head and neck.
- If knocked down by a dog, lie still and remain in a ball.
- Do not play aggressive games with your dog; for example, wrestling.
- Never try to separate fighting dogs.
- If bitten by a dog, immediately report the bite.
- Carefully choose your pet dog. Evaluate your environment and lifestyles and speak with a professional to determine the appropriate type of pet.
- Dogs should be neutered or spayed to reduce aggressive tendencies.